The Doctor of Business Administration (“DBA”) is a 120 ECTS credits programme. It allows students to achieve dual doctoral awards from Brittany Université (“Brittany”), France and VERN University (“VERN”), Croatia.
The DBA programme equips senior business practitioners and high-potential individuals with both knowledge as well as the applied and research skills needed to become executive-level organizational leaders, industry innovators, consultants and policymakers. Students ethically address complex and practical business challenges and learn how to transform business practices to create organizational optimization, growth, and sustainability.
Awards to be conferred
A: Doctor of Business Administration (DBA), from Brittany Université – view sample certificate
B: Doctor of Business Administration (DBA), from VERN’ University – view sample certificate
The programme will be managed and promoted by Brittany Université.
In designing this programme, the prior qualifications and corporate experiences of participants are taken into consideration in order to ensure the programme shall build on prior knowledge and skills.
Programme Learning Outcomes
On completion of the programme, students will be able to:
- Use self-assessment, reflection, evaluation, feedback and developments in theory and evidence-based practice to improve their ethical business practice in a variety of contexts
- Apply a deep understanding of relevant theories and practices to predict outcomes and create business solutions in complex environments
- Communicate key issues effectively and creatively using numerical, graphical, oral and written skills
- Conduct ethical research on business topics, based on critical analysis of academic research and professional practice, and communicate findings
- Demonstrate proficiency in applying a systematic, vigorous research methodologies, design and process when undertaking an original research via the thesis requirement as part of the fulfilment to gain the doctorate award
The DBA taught modules are assessed through coursework, assignments and/or work-based reports.
The Thesis shall be between 25,000 and 30,000 words for the Mixed mode and 40,000 to 45,000 words for the Research mode.
- A Master’s degree qualification in any subject from a recognised institution; or
- A professional qualification equivalent to a Master’s degree; and
- English language proficiency in order to participate in the programme taught in English.
Proficiency of English shall include either a recognised English proficiency testing score of IELTS overall band of 6.0 or equivalent. Those having undertaken either an undergraduate, postgraduate or professional qualification taught and assessed in English will also be accepted as having met the English proficiency.
- Route 1 – Mixed Mode
This route has taught modules, and a Thesis.
The DBA has a total of 120 ECTS credits and comprises of 5 taught modules at 10 ECTS credits each and a Thesis at 70 ECTS credits.
The modules are:
- Managing Strategy 10 ECTS
- Corporate Finance 10 ECTS
- Managing Human Resource 10 ECTS
- Marketing Management 10 ECTS
- Business Research Methodology 10 ECTS
- 25,000 – 30,000 words Thesis 70 ECTS (and mandatory oral defence)
Route 2 – Research Mode
There is a more extensive ‘Thesis only’ route comprising:
- Thesis preparation and Thesis Proposal of 4,500 – 5,000 words (25% of the marks)
- Final Thesis of 40,000 – 45,000 words (75% of the marks)
Stage 1 – Thesis Preparation
Students must undertake a Research Methodology module prior to commencing their thesis research or be exempted from it should students have already undertaken a similar or equivalent Research Methodology module prior to enrolling on to the programme.
Following the completion or exemptions from the taught modules, students have up to three months to submit a Thesis Proposal (this may include a refresh required for the Business Research Methodology for those exempted) for grading and approval before progressing to Stage 2.
A supervisor will be assigned to a student who, under the guidance of the supervisor, shall continue to work towards completing the Final Thesis.
Stage 1 – Should be completed within 4 months.
Stage 2 – Thesis Proposal Approval, Research and Documentation
Stage 2 commences once the Thesis Proposal has been approved and graded and should be completed within 12-20 months.
Stage 3 – Oral Defence of Thesis
Once the supervisor has vetted the Thesis submitted by the student, the student must contact the Thesis Oral Defence Committee to arrange for the oral defence.
Mode of Delivery
* The Mode of Delivery is either fully online or blended learning, where some face-to-face classes are conducted at BU centres outside France.
Blended Delivery Mode
|Self-Instructional Learning Material||Face-to-Face Tutorials||Online Discussions|
|Students are given a complete set of learning materials to facilitate independent study, which can be downloaded from the designated Learning Portal.||Face-to-Face classes conducted at a learning centre for 12 hours per module.||Learners are encouraged to participate in online discussions with other learners and their tutors for at least 18 hours per module.|
Fully Online Mode
|Self-Instructional Learning Material||Online Discussions|
|Students are given a complete set of learning materials to facilitate independent study, which can be downloaded from the designated Learning Portal.||Learners are encouraged to participate in online discussions with other learners and their tutors for at least 18 hours per module.|
For the Blended Mode, please Contact Us to find an Approved Learning Centre near you.
For the Fully Online Mode, please enrol now to sign up for the next available intake.
Notional hours are defined in terms of the amount of time it should take a learner to achieve the learning outcomes. Each ECTS credit requires, on average, 25 notional hours of a learner’s time.
Guide to Learning Hours / Student Learning Time
This Level 8 Programme accrues 120 ECTS credits requiring 3000 notional hours and can be completed in 36 months. With exemptions, the programme can be completed within 24 months.